Licensing Activities, Books, Journal Papers, and Patents
Licenses/acquisitions to technology in which Bill Strohl was a primary or critical player:
One of the key functions that Bill Strohl played at both Merck Research Labs and Janssen R&D where he was employed was to identify, critically evaluate, and execute on licenses to bring in technologies to improve the programs in which he was involved or leading. Below is a short list of publicly announced licenses in which Bill Strohl was a significant player:
· AAV-delivered antibodies, University of Pennsylvania, 2015
· Gene editing technologies, Transposagen, 2014
· XTEN technology, Amunix, 2013
· Duobody bispecific antibody technology, GenMAb, 2012
· Extend and Fc engineering technology, Xencor 2009
· GlycoFi acquisition by Merck and Co., 2006
· Abmaxis acquisition by Merck and Co., 2006
· MorphoSys Library License and AutoCal automation system 2005
· TREM 1, sepsis; TREMs 2,4,5, BioXell 2003
· CaT Library License 2003
· Anti-ADDL antibodies for Alzheimers, Acumen 2003
· Anti-HIV library collaboration, CaT 2002
· Anti-IL-13Ra1 antibody libraries for asthma, AMRAD (now CSL) 2001
· Research and Commercial Licenses for GS, Lonza 2001
Examples of antibody technologies with which Bill Strohl had significant input or invented/ co-invented:
· Protease-resistant IgGs
· IgGs capable of binding only FcgRIIa/b, FcgRIIIa/b; with no FcgRI binding
· Fc silenced IgGs for use with cell-binding antibodies
· Fc-amidated peptide fusion proteins
· MAbtyrin targeting Staphylococcus aureus and its binary leukotoxins
Examples of targets with which Bill Strohl has had discovery programs (only a few publicly released programs of the more than 40 total programs are listed here):
· HIV gp41, Trem1, IL-13Ra1, Amyloid-beta, DKK1, PCSK9, Staphylococcus aureus, IL-25, VISTA
Bill Strohl’s current CV can be downloaded here: (Link to downloadable PDF)
Dr. Strohl, who is a noted leader in the area of Pharmaceutical Biotechnology, has edited two books in the area of biotechnology, guest-edited four journal issues, and has recently written a book entitled "Therapeutic Antibody Engineering: Current and Future Advances Driving the Strongest Growth Area in the Pharma Industry", which was published in October, 2012. This book and its individual chapters may be purchased at: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/book/9781907568374. A review of this book, published in the journal mAbs can be read at: http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.4161/mabs.23654
A few Key Journal Papers:
Kinder, M., A.R. Greenplate, W.R. Strohl, R.E. Jordan, R.J. Brezski. 2015. An Fc engineering approach that modulates antibody-dependent cytokine release without altering cell-killing functions. mAbs 7(3): 494-504.
Vafa, O., G.L. Gilliland, R.J. Brezski, B. Strake, T. Wilkinson, E.R. Lacy, B. Scallon, A. Teplyakov, T. Malia, and W.R. Strohl. 2013. An engineered silent Fc variant of an IgG eliminates all immune effector functions via structural perturbations. Methods 65: 114-126.
Grugan, K.D., F.L. McCabe, M. Kinder, A. Oberholtzer, B.C. Harman, J. Ekert, N. van Rooijen, G.M. Anderson, J. Nemeth, W.R. Strohl, R.E. Jordan, R.J. Brezski. 2012. Tumor-associated macrophages promote invasion while retaining Fc-dependent anti-tumor function. J. Immunol.
Zhang, L., T. McCabe, J.H. Condra, Y.G. Ni, L.B. Peterson, W. Wang, A.M. Strack, F. Wang, S. Pandit, H. Hammond, D. Wood, X. Liu, D. Lewis, R. Rosa, V. Mendoza, A.M Cumiskey, D.G. Johns, B.C. Hansen, X. Shen, N. Geoghagen, K. Jensen, L. Zhu, K. Wietecha, D. Wisniewski, L. Huang, J.Z. Zhao, R. Ernst, R. Hampton, P. Haytko, F. Ansbro, S. Chilewski, J. Chin, L.J. Mitnaul, A. Pellacani, C.P. Sparrow, Z. An, W.R. Strohl, B. Hubbard, A.S. Plump, D. Blom, and A. Sitlani. 2012. An anti-PCSK9 antibody reduces LDL-cholesterol on top of a statin and suppresses hepatocyte SREBP-regulated genes. Int’l. J. Biol. Sci. 8: 310-327.
Glantschnig, H., R. Hampton, P. Lu, J.Z. Zhao, S. Vitelli, L. Huang, P. Haytko, T. Cusick, C. Ireland, S. Jarantow, R.Ernst, N.Wei, P. Nantermet, K. Scott, J. Fisher, F. Talamo, L. Orsatti, A. Reszka, P. Sandhu, D. Kimmel, O. Flores, W. Strohl, Z. An, F. Wang. 2010. Generation of fully human monoclonal antibodies targeting dickkopf-1 (DKK1) for the increase of bone mass. J. Biol. Chem 285:40135-40147.
Miller MD, Geleziunas R, Bianchi E, Lennard S, Hrin R, Zhang H, Lu M, An Z, Ingallinella P, Finotto M, Mattu M, Finnefrock AC, Bramhill D, Cook J, Eckert DM, Hampton R, Patel M, Jarantow S, Joyce J, Ciliberto G, Cortese R, Lu P, Strohl W, Schleif W, McElhaugh M, Lane S, Lloyd C, Lowe D, Osbourn J, Vaughan T, Emini E, Barbato G, Kim PS, Hazuda DJ, Shiver JW, Pessi A. 2005. A human monoclonal antibody neutralizes diverse HIV-1 isolated by binding a critical gp41 epitope. Proc. Nat’l. Acad. Sci (USA) 102:14759-14764.
Key Recent Reviews and Book Chapters:
Strohl, W.R. 2017. Current progress in innovative engineered antibodies. Protein & Cell DOI 10.1007/s13238-017-0457-8 Available free: https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s13238-017-0457-8/fulltext.html Note: 2,100 downloads in the first two weeks of open access.
Naso, M.F., Tomkowicz, B., Perry, W.L. 3rd, Strohl, W.R. 2017. Adeno-associated virus (AAV) as a vector for gene therapy. BioDrugs OI 10.1007/s40259-017-0234-5. Available free: https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2Fs40259-017-0234-5
Strohl, W.R. 2015. Fusion proteins for half-life extension of biologics as a strategy to make biobetters. BioDrugs 29:215-239. Available free: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26177629
Strohl, W.R. 2011. Isotype Selection and Fc Engineering: Design and Construction of Fit-for-Purpose Therapeutic Antibodies, pp. 147-220. In: Antibody Drug Discovery, Clive Wood, ed. Imperial College Press, London.
Strohl, W.R. 2009. Therapeutic Monoclonal Antibodies - Past, Present, and Future. In: An, Zhiqiang, pp. 3-50. Therapeutic Antibodies, from Bench to Clinic. John Wiley and Sons.
Strohl, W.R. 2009. Optimization of Fc-Mediated Effector Functions of Monoclonal Antibodies. Curr. Opin. Biotechnol. 20:685-691
Williams, B.R., and W.R. Strohl. 2009. Follow-on Protein Products: What, Where, When, How? In: An, Zhiqiang, pp 759-773. Therapeutic Antibodies, from Bench to Clinic. John Wiley and Sons.
Almagro, J.C., and W.R. Strohl. 2009. Antibody Engineering: Humanization, Affinity Maturation and Selection Techniques. In: An, Zhiqiang, pp. 311-334. Therapeutic Antibodies, from Bench to Clinic. John Wiley and Sons.
Issued and published patents:
1. Strohl, W.R., M.L. Dickens, and C.L. DeSanti. 1999. Methods of producing doxorubicin. The Ohio State
University Research Foundation. U.S. Patent US5962293. Issued October 5, 1999.
2. Strohl, W.R., M.L. Dickens, and C.L. DeSanti. 1999. Methods of producing doxorubicin. The Ohio State
University Research Foundation. U.S. Patent US5976830. Issued November 2, 1999.
3. Garcia, M., M. Goetz, G. Kaczorowski, O. McManus, R. Monaghan, W.R. Strohl, and J. Tkacz. Novel Maxi-K
channel blockers, methods of use and process for making same. US Patent US7294646 B2, Issued Nov
4. Strohl, W.R. (sole inventor). Non-immunostimulatory antibody and compositions containing the same.
US 7,700,009. Issued 20 April, 2010.
5. Kinney, G., W.R. Strohl, and Z. An. Anti-ADDL monoclonal antibody and use thereof. US 2007/0081998A1,
Publ. 4/12/07. US 7731962, Issued June 8, 2010.
6. Nash, A., M. Baca, L.J. Fabri, D. Zaller, W.R. Strohl, and Z. An. High affinity antibody antagonists of
interleukin-13 receptor alpha I. US 7,754,213. Issued July 13, 2010.
7. Acton, P., Z. An, A. Bett, R. Breese, L. Chang, E. Dodson, G. Kinney, W. Klein, M. Lambert, X. Liang, P.
Shughrue, W.R. Strohl, and K. Viola. Anti-ADDL antibodies and uses thereof. US 7,780,963. Issued Aug
8. Acton, P., Z. An, A. Bett, R. Breese, E. Dodson, G. Kinney, W. Klein, G. Krafft, M. Lambert, X. Liang, T. Pray,
P. Shughrue, W.R. Strohl, and F. Wang. Anti-ADDL antibodies and uses thereof. US 7,811,563. Issued
Oct 12, 2010.
9. Kinney, G., W.R. Strohl, and Z. An. Anti-ADDL monoclonal antibody and use thereof. US patent 8,105,593.
Issued Jan 31, 2012.
10. Acton, P., Z. An, A.J. Bett, R. Breese, L. Chang, E.C. Dodson, G. Kinney, WL Klein, M.P. Lambert, X. Liang,
P. Shughrue, W.R. Strohl, K. Viola. 2012. Anti-ADDL antibodies and uses thereof. US 8,128,930.. Issued
Mar 9, 2012.
11. Nash, A., M. Baca, L.J. Fabri, D. Zaller, W.R. Strohl, and Z. An. Antibodyantagonists of interleukin-13
receptor -1. US 8207304. Issued June 26, 2012.
12. Acton, P., Z. An, A.J. Bett, R. Breese, L. Chang, E.C. Dodson, G. Kinney, WL Klein, M.P. Lambert, X. Liang,
P. Shughrue, W.R. Strohl, K. Viola. 2013. Anti-ADDL antibodies and uses thereof. US 8,383,113 B2.
Issued Feb 26, 2013.
13. Kinney, G., W.R. Strohl, and Z. An. 2013. Anti-ADDL monoclonal antibody and uses thereof. US 8420093
B2. Issued April 16, 2013.
14. Nash, A., M. Baca, L.J. Fabri, D. Zaller, W.R. Strohl, and Z. An. High affinity antibody antagonists of
interleukin-13 receptor alpha 1. US 8,568,722; Issued Oct. 29, 2013, 85 pp.
15. Nash, A., M. Baca, L.J. Fabri, D. Zaller, W.R. Strohl, and Z. An. Anti-IL-13R1 antibodies and their uses
thereof. US 8,613,925; Issued Dec. 24, 2013, 51 pp.
16. Almagro, J-C., P. Branigan, C. Kane, W. Strohl, S. Taudte, M. Tornetta, J. Wheeler. Humanized IL-25
antibodies. US 8,785,605 B2; Issued July 22, 2014, 45 pp.
17. Brezski, R., R. Jordan, and W. Strohl. Active protease-resistant antibody Fc mutants. US 8,871,204 B2;
Issued October 28, 2014.
18. Strohl, W.R. and O. Vafa. Antibody Fc mutants with ablated effector functions. US 8,961,967 B2; Issued
Feb 24, 2015
19. Nash, A., M. Baca, L.J. Fabri, D. Zaller, W.R. Strohl, and Z. An. High affinity antibody antagonists of
nterleukin-13 receptor alpha 1. US 9,371,388; Issued June 21, 2016.
Published Patent Applications:
1. Strohl, W.R., O. Vafa. Antibody Fc mutants with ablated effector functions. WO 2011/066501 A1. Published
3 June 2011.
2. Almagro, J.C., P. Branigan, C. Kane, W. Strohl, S. Taudte, M. Tornetta, J. Wheeler. Humanized IL-25
antibodies. WO 2011/123507 A1; Published 6 Oct 2011
3. Strohl, W., R. Jordan, R. Brezski. Active protease-resistant antibody Fc mutants. WO 2012/087746.
(CEN5304USPSP) Published 28 June 2012.
4. Torres, V.J., R.J. Brezski, A. Lynch, W. Strohl, B. Whitaker, M. Chiu, K. Soring, M. Kinder. Compositions and
methods for phagocyte delivery of anti-staphylococcal agents. WO/2015/089073; Publ date: 6/18/2015
Additional patent applications have not yet published and therefore cannot be listed here.
Current writing efforts in progress:
Strohl, W.R. Bispecific antibodies in therapeutic development. Invited review.
Strohl, WR. Biological implications of protease cleavage of human antibodies and generation of protease-resistant antibodies. Review